This Fall Designers are turning the fashion dial back to the 80s and 90s.
It’s time to bust out those acid washed jeans, dust off those over sized denim jackets, reclaim those forgotten Reebok’s and get ready to take bold shoulders and retro-hued colorblocking to the next level.
Over the past few seasons the 80s/90s inspired movement has been gaining steam in street-style circles but for Fall 2018 designers across the board from Marc Jacobs to Miu Miu, Prada to Gucci have gone full on retro and it’s kind of a magical mash-up of the best of both decades.
For the Fall 2018 Retro Trend think draping yourself in iridescent foil fabrics, neon, and glammed-up evening looks paired with combat boots, plaids and hoop earrings while you embrace the season of retro excess.
Out of the sea of trends for the two decades a few stood out as easy wearable must-haves, so I put together a quick “Style Cheat Sheet” for you to get you ahead of the trends and ready for Fall 2018.
Shopping IT list for Fall 2018:
- Customized denim jackets- If you didn’t have an oversize denim jacket covered in airbrushed art, pins, or patches in the ’80s, you probably were doing something wrong. Cut to over two decades later, and bold denim is totally back. Whether you score a legit style from the ’80s, or customize your own, make sure the denim’s not too dark, and the cut is fairly oversized.
- Retro Sneakers– Reebok has made a MAJOR comeback thanks to a HUGE boost from celebs and street-style stars. The Classic 80s kicks are so in demand that stores can’t seem to keep them in stock. If you don’t already own a pair. Get them NOW and thank me later!
- Hair Scrunchies– The ‘90s staple! Everyone wore them, whether in your hair or on your wrist. They are so Lisa Turtle from Saved By the Bell! They took a dip in popularity a la the Sex and the City scrunchie episode, but now they’re back with a vengeance. You don’t have to wear them like you did in the 90s. Think modern revamped versions wrapped around pony’s, buns or in that oh so effortless “hun” style (1/2 up 1/2 down bun).
- 90’s Vintage Floral Dresses- Can you believe that the 90s are considered VINTAGE now? WOW I feel old. Well if you didn’t hold on to those 90s floral frocks ala Benny and Joon hit the thrift shops, start poppin’ some tags and score one ASAP. They are are must for layering in Fall 2018.
- Bandanas- In the 90s Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani, and even the Olsen twins could often be spotted with a bandana in their hair. These days, they’re making a swift comeback, whether its in your hair or around your neck a bandana will instantly up your cool factor this season.
What I’m Wearing: McDonalds Uber Eats #McDelivery Promo Oversized Denim Jacket ( **McDelivery Day swag items are no longer available. Delivery Day took place, July 19th and while they have run out of the swag because customers absolutely snatched up the 90’s throwback collection, you never know when McDonald’s might be popping up again with surprise items! Who knows what UberEats x McDonalds might come up with next visit McDeliveryatMcDonalds.com for more information| Marc Jacobs Retro Vintage Aviator Sunglasses | Reebok Classic Run Retro Sneakers | Vintage Dress | Vintage Handbag from StillettosandSinCity | Hair Scrunchie | X the Band Bandana |
***Did you know that McDonalds just launched #McDelivery with Uber Eats and it’s so easy! Download the Uber Eats App, place your order and you’ll be snacking on McD’s classic fries in no time!
Click to SHOP some of my favorite So-Retro pieces for Fall 2018:
So cute !!!! And now I want french fries!
Right! Yummy Yum Yum!
Ok, now I want it all! Including the fries 🙂
LOL so fun right!
Bandanas will never go out of style. And even though I don’t really eat at McDonalds, I do love your customized denim jacket.
It looks like you stepped back in time! Love your red hair!
LOL thank you!
I love some trends from the past decades. I like your denim jacket, it’s really unusual. 🙂
Thanks so much!
Love this look! An I love how you shot at a McDonald’s!
Thanks lady! This Retro McDonalds is so cool. Retro on the outside but fully modern on the inside where you can order from Ipads!
Yes yes to all of this! I was just in Forever 21 the other day (for the first time in MONTHS) and I couldn’t believe how 90’s it was. Every single thing on your list was there. And you better believe I was looking for one of those amazing denim jackets lol. I also love the bandanas and floral dresses, those have been my jam for a long time though lol. I love all your photos in this post, you are so cute!
Awe thanks so much Christina! Tag me when you find your perfect Denim Jacket! Can’t wait to see it!
Oh thank goodness – I can take my denim jacket out of the back of the closet! (P.S. Bandanas are timeless.)
Bust it out lady!
OMG this McDonalds themed shoot is amazing! I just bought a denim jacket, but not sure I could pull off the oversized denim look. And I’ve been feeling so old seeing all the 90s-inspired dresses.
LOL you could totally pull it off- it’s all in the pairing!
OMG, that’s the CUTEST denim jacket I have seen. I want! You look like a 90s belle!❤️
Awe thanks babe!
Floral dresses are my literal everything. Aaand now I need to go thrift a jean jacket!
Yaas! Stick up for Fall now!
Haha, love having the inside line on returning trends. The 80’s were so over the top that it’s a hard act to encore, but then again….:-)
LOL a little dash of nostalgia will spice things up this fall and put a smile your face!
I love your dress, Christie. Anything with floral prints makes my day! :)Demin jackets are also cool.
Thanks so much- I’m feeling the florals all through Fall this year!