Like Penny from The Big Bang Theory you may have noticed that you are magnetically drawn to geeks faster than an electron is drawn to a proton.
Do you quiver when that hot IT guy upgrades your software? Do you tingle when you overhear a heated debate on who is the superior superhero Batman or Superman? Is Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jim Parsons, Nathan Fillion or Stephen Colbert on your celebrity clause list? Then you are probably a Geek-ista.
I completely understand. Guys living the geek life can be just so a-dang-dork-able!
Today’s geeks aren’t the taped up glasses kind of geeks of yesteryear, today’s geek is totally chic!
Not only is he smart but he also has style. Today’s geek is way less “Revenge of the Nerds” and way more “500 Days of Summer”.
OK so you want to date a geek. The first step is finding one!
Some of the Best places to meet a geek are:
1. Best Buy or the Apple Store– if the place has the latest technology they will come!
2. A Comic Book Store– duh!
3. A Renaissance Faire– so, maybe you are into the King Arthur type.
4. Coffee Shop– geeks spend hours there using the free wi-fi and sipping latte’s.
5. A sci-fi movie premier. This is like THE bachelor auction of geeks. Standing in an orderly line for hours you have plenty of time to survey the prospects.
With the Star Trek Into Darkness premier rapidly approaching (May 17th ladies mark your calendars) now is the perfect time for my tips on how to catch a geeks eye.
10 sure fire ways to grab a Geek’s attention and keep it:
1. Star Trek or Star Wars. Know them and choose a side.
2. Be Tech Savvy. MAC or PC. Iphone or Android. Take an educated and passionate stand on why you use which.
3. Video Games. Learn to love them- think of this as the “Monday Night Football” of Geeks and know that at some point you WILL have to stand in line for a midnight game release.
4. The Who’s Who. Not Doctor Who, but you should be familiar with him too- know the pantheon of geek idols: Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams, Simon Pegg, Felicia Day and Chris Hardwick.
5. Have a plan of action for a Zombie Apocalypse and be ready to discuss it.
6. You will need a go-to Cosplay costume ready (Literally “Costume Play.” Dressing up and pretending to be a fictional character -usually a sci-fi, comic book, or anime character). This is super important for conventions like Comic-Con and Wondercon. Top three Cosplay costumes to get a geek’s engine to Warp Speed: Princess Leia in the iconic gold Bikini, Wonder Woman and Xena Warrior Princess.
7. The Doctor. Be able to answer which reincarnation (number) of Doctor Who we are currently on. (It’s the eleventh)
8. Comic books. Educate yourself on the difference between DC and Marvel. Know which heroes go with which universe.
DC: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern.
Marvel: Iron Man, Spiderman, Hulk, X-Men.
9. Current Events. Carry around a Wired Magazine and keep it visible. When a hot geek sees this it opens the door for some geeky conversation! If you don’t have a Wired Magazine handy open blastr on your tablet or ipad- it will have the same effect.
10. Be Passionate about things you like. Geeks respect people who are passionate, it doesn’t matter what you are passionate about- just have passion for something!
“Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It’s basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating.”- Simon Pegg
“Geeks are just people who are interested in something, so share your passions and interests with them whatever it is.” –Felicia Day
Who is your Hollywood Geek Crush?
Here are some of my favorite Geek-love buys from around the web. Click to shop.