My readers have spoken (through multiple emails, tweets, Facebook messages and on photo shoots) and what they want is more Model Boot Camp!
So here you go!
I have mentioned in previous posts about how models should have this or that in their Model Bag, readers have asked, “Exactly what should be in these Model Bags and what are they”?
A Model Bag is a suitcase or duffel that you ALWAYS have with you (no matter what type of shoot you are on. Even if you are told to bring nothing, you still bring this bag!).
Inside the Model Bag are essentials you need for shoots. Sometimes you are asked to bring more, like specific clothing, but these are the basic items you should always have!
Model Bags contain separate items than the ones you use (for personal use) in daily life, in other words: the heels you wore whoring it up at the nightclub last night that are all sticky from alcohol and who knows what else on the floor should not be in here. The items in this bag should be in relatively new condition. These are tools of your trade!
The bag should always be well stocked with a variety of shoes, under garments, healthy snacks, and personal hygiene essentials.
I’ve put together images of 2 sample bags: One for the Guys and one for the Gals with some of my favorite products! (For those of you that aren’t models these products are still big helpers to get you through your day! Keep them in your handbag, gym bag or desk drawer!)
Kids its time to Pack your Bags with my TOP rated products!
1. You need an easy to carry spacious bag to put everything in. Do NOT show up to a shoot with your items waded up in a grocery bag! “Stag Bag” duffel from American Apparel.
2. When you finish a shoot its always nice to be able to wash the makeup off before heading out the door, especially for guys! Rodial Glam Balm Makeup Remover Wipes. Ideal for delicately removing all traces of makeup from the face, lips and around the eyes. Natural, luxurious and paraben-free. www.beauty.com LOVE these! Your skin feels soft and clean after use! http://www.drugstore.com/beauty.asp?catid=9730
3. You always need deodorant touch-ups throughout the day especially under the hot lights of a photoshoot or outdoors! Kiehls product is great for shoots because its unscented and leaves no residue, nothing to get on the clothing! Kiehls Antiperspirant Deodorant Cream. An unscented, extremely gentle, yet efficient antiperspirant and deodorant cream offering unique skin care benefits. Leaves skin feeling soft, soothed and conditioned with 24-hour protection against sweat and odor. Reduces underarm perspiration utilizing advanced micro-sized drying molecules for sheer absorption with no residue. Available at Neiman Marcus or at http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/home/index.aspx
4. On long shoots you need to keep the energy up! I love Zizzazz because it doesn’t give you the upset stomach most energy drinks do and you don’t have a crash from it! Zizzazz Energy Mix. Comes in four great tasting fruit flavors and is a low calorie, vitamin fortified energy powder which can be eaten straight from the stick like candy or mixed with water to make a great tasting energy drink. As it has less than one gram of sugar, there is no crash that is associated with typical energy drinks. http://zizzazz.com/
5 and 6 . Always have both a black and brown belt in your bag! Brown Leather Belt by Salvatore Ferragamo. Black Slim Belt Topman.com http://us.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=13051&catalogId=33059
7. Black socks are a must-have in your bag! Black Dress socks by Calvin Klein.
8 and 9. Just like the black and brown belts you need black and brown dress shoes! Brown Classic Brogue shoe topman.com Black lace-up shoe topman.com
10. It’s essential to carry both undershirts and tanks in your bag, these will help control sweat on set, no one wants to be shot with bologna slices under their arms! White undershirt by Hanes.
11. Most of the time you aren’t allowed to walk distances in the shoes for a shoot. Always have flip flops in your bag to wear to and from set. Men’s flip-flop by Havaianas.
12. Take care of your skin when shooting in the sun. I love Ocean Potion because it gives great protection and smells like a yummy Orangesicle, none of that typical stink associated with sunscreens! Ocean Potion 50SPF Broad Spectrum Anti-aging Sunscreen. Available at most drug stores. http://www.opotion.com/
13. You never know when you’ll need to shave on a shoot. I love this sleek travel shaver both for power and compactability! Braun Mobile Shave M-90. You don’t have to fear your afternoon beard shadow any longer. With Braun’s new MobileShave it’s easy and convenient to restore a freshly groomed appearance whenever and wherever you need to look your best. Compact size and powered by 2 AA batteries. http://www.braun.com/us/series-shavers/mobileshave/mobileshave-models.html
1.You need a spacious bag to put everything in, so why not make it a cute one! Denim Shiny Duffel by American Apparel.
2. When you finish a shoot its always nice to be able to wash the makeup off before heading out the door. Who wants to stop to get gas with “editorial” makeup on! Rodial Glam Balm Makeup Remover Wipes. Ideal for delicately removing all traces of makeup from the face, lips and around the eyes. Natural, luxurious and paraben-free. www.beauty.com http://www.drugstore.com/beauty.asp?catid=9730
3. You always need to bring your makeup to a shoot “just in case” and the cool-it caddy is amazing! No more melted make-up! Working in Las Vegas I am in Love with this product! Cool-it Caddy. Revolutionary Cool-it Caddy™ “grab and go” clutch bag conveniently travels with you in high temperatures keeping your costly beauty products protected from “heat meltdown”. Simply freeze, grab and go. No need to place a gel pack or ice pack into the bag. Cool-it Caddy™ has the coolant integrated into the design. Your items stay cool as the temperature rises.
4, 5, 6. Always, Always have nude, black and metallic heels in you bag! Nude Tribute Heel by YSL, Black Suede Mary Jane by YSL,Gold Caryssa Pump by Steve Madden.
7. Make sure you have a nude strapless bra that is smooth, no lace or jewels. This one is perfect! Papillion Nude Strapless Bra by Cosabella. (and ladies an old white one that has turned gray does not count as “nude”, ewe.) http://cosabella.com/
8. One of my Favorite secret stylist tools! Shibue Couture Stylist on the Go Kit. Contains a strapless panty, cover ups, silicone cover ups and adhesive strips. http://www.shibuecouture.com/
9. You never know when you are going to get a snack or what it will be on set. Its a good idea to keep a healthy snack like Julie Anne’s Super Delicious granola in your bag! Julie Annes All Natural Granola. The perfect combination of crunchy clusters and tart dried fruit makes Julie Anne’s granola ideal. Available at Whole Foods or at http://www.julieannes.com/
10. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Always Always Always have nude thong underwear with you on a shoot! Cosabella’s is Perfect! Come on Ladies, I’m going broke supplying you with undies! Talco Nude G-String by Cosabella. http://cosabella.com/
11. Same as the guys, ladies need to keep the energy up on long shoots! I love zizzazz because it doesn’t give you the upset stomach most energy drink do, it tastes AMAZING and you don’t have a crash from it! Zizzazz Energy Mix. Comes in four great tasting fruit flavors and is a low calorie, vitamin fortified energy powder which can be eaten straight from the stick like candy or mixed with water to make a great tasting energy drink. As it has less than one gram of sugar, there is no crash that is associated with typical energy drinks. http://zizzazz.com/
12. Take care of your skin when shooting in the sun. I love Ocean Potion because it gives great protection and smells like a yummy Orangesicle! Ocean Potion 50SPF Broad Spectrum Anti-aging Sunscreen. Available at Most Drug Stores. http://www.opotion.com/
13. Most of the time you aren’t allowed to walk distances in the shoes for a shoot. Always have flip flops in your bag to wear to set and give your feet a break from heels! Ladies flip-flop by Havaianas.
I have another great Enter to Win Giveaway for you this week! Some of my Favorite Product lines from above have teamed up with me to give you a jump-start on your Model Bag, or for those who aren’t models some great products!
One lucky reader will win a huge prize pack: Rodial Glam Balm Wipes, a Braun Mobile Shave M-90, Julie Anne’s All Natural Granola, a Variety of Ocean PotionSuncreens, a Cool-it Caddy, a TALCO thong from Cosabella, Zizzazz Energy Mix, and a Shibue Couture Stylist On The Go Kit!
1. click on the comment icon at bottom of this page or at top right of page.
2. Leave a comment (between July 26 and July 31) Telling me how the Model Bag items could help you be “prepared” for any situation.
Good Luck! Keep reading and re-post on your Facebook and Twitter!
(Last weeks winner is : Elizabeth A.! Congrats!!)
i think all of your “must-haves” are perfect! Another great thing to have is nail polish remover and cotton pads. There is nothing worse than going to a job and forgetting to take off the neon pink nail polish!
My link from facebook doesn’t let me enter!! Oh well love your blog as usual xoxo
I can’t believe that you are giving this stuff away! OMG! You are the nicest person in the world! If you wanted a true believer you have one! I know that I’m not a model, but seriously I’m posting this everywhere. Thank you!
Hey Christie….first of all I love your blogs and all your suggestion…not only can models use them but us “everyday” working people and I might add that age does not matter when it comes to looking fresh and clean!! Your giveaway this time is simpy put “fantastic”!!!Not only can the girl out on the town and stuck away from home can keep this in her car or in her “BIG” couture bag use this in an emergency….but as you said…the model “on the go”!!! Everything in this giveaway will even help the last minute “go on a date with me?” situation without even having to go home first!!!! Keep up the good work keeping us informed of all the new stuff out there and all the suggestions for using them!!!!
Oh if models would only listen to your amaznig advice. Our jobs would be alot easier!!
I think this is great. I agree with the nail polish remover! I hope I win! This would be a huge help for me! Thank you!
As I am sure all are aware of, things come up on shoots that most are unprepared for. This “Model Bag” is the answer to most of those situations. From clean T-shirts, to clear deodorant, to make up removing wipes. These all can diffuse any disruption, where time is of the essence.
My own bag is packed with all of the items and I can not tell you how many times it has come in handy.
Instead of telling you how the model bag will help me, I’m going to tell you how the model bag will help me not kick the ass of the model I’m working with, because she comes unprepared and wants to borrow not only a pair of shoes, but my makeup brushes that she wants to put blue eyeshadow all over and then I have to wash them, and how the breakdown said that model hair had to be teased and wild so she comes with her hair done perfectly like Donna Reid and she doesn’t want to tease it (or know HOW to tease it), and how she complains that she didn’t know that she would have to bring ANYTHING, (WHAT???) so, yes, Model Who I’m Working With: this one’s for you. BRING YOUR DANG MODEL BAG and be ready for ANYTHING!!!!!!
Great ideas as always. I would love a cool it caddy just because!
I actually took all this to heart and immediately looked up the Cool-It Caddy online to find that it is about $40 – not to mention shipping! Though I’ve heard that having models who can do their own makeup tends to be a luxury, I’d like to be that exception with that capacity and the Cool-It Caddy would definitely be of great aid! Even melted chapstick in my car can really put a damper on my day.
#’s 7 and 10 for the ladies are just things I really have to look for anyway. On a side note, I wonder who would think of actually bringing decorated undergarments? That’s just impractical!
Personally, I’m not too big on energy supplements and would rather try to get a good night’s sleep and a bit of coffee or tea in the morning – but I’ll try them when the need is dire!
I would have overlooked the sunscreen so thank you for pointing that out!
Olivia: the Cool-it caddy is an Amazing product, especially for those in Las Vegas where one trip outside can obliterate all of your makeup! Its sad to say but I have been on many shoots where the model has lacey undies or undies with a small bow or jewel that while cute do not lay properly under clothing. Sometimes you don’t have the luxury of a good nights sleep,i.e. on a shoot for multiple days of about 16-19 hours per day with a 4 hour turn around (including dinner) and Energy drinks come in mighty handy! Thanks for your input!
Oh models… when will you learn? This bag is awesome!!! I think I should carrry this bag for newbies!!!! And Elly…I hear ya! Christie, your the best!
I knew it along……..I have my “emergency items” “Jamed” in my bag……although a little quiet about letting it be known……Now I know it is ok!…..I just need some better style ;O)Thank you for your Blog, it is super cute!
Christie yet again another great post! I love the advice you gave on this one as I’ve never heard of the Cool it Caddy. which is perfect for the Las Vegas heat. Not to mention I love the zizzazz must have. 🙂 I have a model bag, but this checklist is perfect to look at and I realize I’ve been missing things, like the stylist on the go kit and the makeup wipes. The days of strange looks as I leave a shoot and fill my car up with gas will be long gone!!! The American Apparel duffel is also the cutest duffel bag I’ve seen and I’m making sure it’s the next shopping item I pick up! I’ll make sure to repost this blog for others to see. Hope all is great with you. Be on the lookout for a message in your inbox soon from me. xoxo
I truly believe all of us need an emergency kit. I’ve always carried emergency items but never had one for on the go – what a great idea. I’m going to update and add to mine. I’d love to have a nice bag to really get me on the right road. I’m always a fan of yours,
I agree that anyone would benefit from a “model” bag- I carry one to work (as a teacher) but it certainly isn’t as stylish as yours!
Where’s the young-ish hot man-boy?????? Isn’t that in everyone else’s model bag, or is it just me!!???
Oh, these goodies sound great. I love Ocean Potion sunblock. It’s my favorite. It smells so good and makes your skin feel really soft. The frozen makeup bag is a great idea. It’s kind of like how I put a big frozen ice pack in Sofia’s carseat everywhere we go in the summer to keep her seat and buckles from burning her coolie. She always says, “nice and cold” about her carseat instead of “Ouch!!!!” Same idea here, who want’s to put on melted makeup? These are great products to give away! Hopefully a lot of models read your blog.
I love Zizzazz!!! 😀
Hi Christie! I honestly always do read your blogs, they’re amazing, and I will be entering every week!! It has great advice for everyone in the industry that is new or has been in it for a while 🙂 This blog specifically will have models to never have excuses again lol! You breakdown everything and the reasons why we need and should have them in our bag. There has been many times that I have 2 to 3 jobs in one day and really depend on my bag. I will have to rush from one job to the next and have crazy makeup on, so I am the girl driving and using makeup wipes at the same time ;-)You also never know if the client will have snacks or food available so I always bring something healthy that I know can keep my energy up. Nude thongs are a must!!! Women in general should carry an extra thong just in case, trust me you never know lol! I do take modeling very seriously since it is what I do full time and I am very professional when it comes to my bookings, shoots, networking, emails and etc. So pleased keep these blogs coming and I will keep reading 🙂 p.s. last week I was confused on what to do (only me) lol, when we were chatting on facebook, I don’t think the link worked properly but I figured it out now!! Thanks Doll!xoxo