(above: Photographer:Jerry Metellus Stylist:Christie Moeller Makeup/Hair: Melissa Conner Model: the always swimwear ready Anna)
(Last weeks Enter to Win winner is Kahshanna E. Congrats! Don’t forget to ENTER this week! Instructions at end of this Post!)
Just when I thought, again, that I might be running out of ideas for my Model Bootcamp section… POW..BLAM..WHAM , I work another job that slapped me in the face and left me scratching my head wondering “Why don’t they know this!”
Swimsuit ready. What does it mean?
This stuff seems basic to some but there are tons of others out there that come to set with at least one of these categories NOT taken care of!
1. Your bikini area must be properly maintained (waxed, shaved, depilatoried, trimmed etc) Both Ladies and Gents! Come on please! I have watched retouchers squirm as they zoomed in trying to clone out stray pubic hairs hanging out of swimsuits! I have handed out razor after razor on set sending girls to the bathroom to “trim up”. I should seriously buy some stock in Gillette! This needs to be done BEFORE you come to set!
2. Ladies make sure your legs and armpits are shaved..again gross!
3. Gents, make sure your chest and back are properly “Manscaped” please see my previous post for tips on this.
4. Make sure your body is tanned (NOT a SELF TANNER OR TEMPORARY TANNER YOU PUT ON THAT MORNING or ON THE WAY TO SET THAT WILL STINK UP or RUB OFF ON THE CLOTHING!)
5. NO TAN LINES! Fashion involves swimwear of all different shapes and cuts so having tans lines can be a problem! Guys especially watch out for sock tan lines!
When asked to bring swimwear to set please bring a variety of swimwear that doesn’t have logos! Guys you are the biggest offenders of this! DO NOT BRING trunks that say “Quicksilver” or “Hurley” across them, you know we CANNOT shoot logos on ads and commercials. And while we are at it: FYI gentlemen, basketball shorts ARE NOT SWIMWEAR! DO NOT BRING THESE TO A SWIMWEAR SHOOT and try to pass them off as your swim trunks!
Make sure the swimwear you bring is well maintained. DO NOT bring the ones you have been surfing or wake-boarding in for the past 3 summers. They should look new and clean. (Hand-washing your swimwear will give it a longer life). You should have separate swimwear that you use for shoots than the ones you use on a daily basis.
Ladies. Unless you are asked to, DO NOT BRING THONG SWIMWEAR to a shoot! I know, I know, you want to look sexy but trust me regular bikinis and uni-kinis are sexy enough…bring a variety of classy and upscale sexy swimwear.
Ladies you should always,always,always have nude thong underwear with you. It should have string like sides and back (not lace, not thick, no bows or jewels) and should be smooth. Le Mystere “Y-not string thong” is a great one as well as the Cosabella “Talco G String”.
(above: Le Mystere Y-not string thong in nude)
Wear the nude thong underwear underneath the swimsuit. NEVER put on a swimsuit you are given by the Stylist with NOTHING under it! These swimsuits are usually samples worn by multiple models all around the world! NEVER go commando! Talk about a huge Petri dish of disgusting! If the swimsuit has open sides then use a panty liner instead of the thong. (You should always have a few of these in your model bag).
I recently discovered the Shibue Couture “Peel and Toss Disposable Strapless Panty”! I love this because sometimes panty liners can tend to bunch up and these stay nice and smooth! http://www.shibuecouture.com/
There are a couple extra things that you can bring with you that will make your day more pleasant.
Bring a robe! The first thing you should do when arriving to a swimwear shoot is to take off all clothing that will leave any lines or indentations on your body (socks, bras, jeans, etc) and put on a robe. This will help your body look smoother and toned on camera. Do this BEFORE you head into makeup so the lines that are there have time to subside. The robe will also come in handy when you have to take a long uncomfortable walk to set in a bikini with tons of patrons at that location staring at you.
Bring some flip flops or loose Ugg boots to wear to and from set. Usually you cannot walk in the shoes for the shoot, not to mention it gives your feet a break from heels.
Being beautiful is only part of being a model. There is a long list of rules, etiquette, and equipment you need to be successful! Follow my tips, keep your model bag stocked, your attitude sunny and you’ll be booking swimwear shoots like crazy!
Ladies! You are gonna LOVE this giveaway! Shibue Couture, the makers of the “Peel and Toss Disposable Strapless Panty” have partnered with me for an AMAZING Giveaway! SEVERAL readers will receive a “Stylist on The Go Kit” which contains 1 Shibue Strapless panty, 1 pair of Shibue cover-ups, 1 pair of Shibue silicone cover-ups, and six Shibue repair adhesive strips!
All you have to do to ENTER is:
1. Scroll back to the top of this post and click on the comment icon (between June 23 and June 27)
2. Leave a comment there Telling me “Why you need a disposable strapless panty” or “What you would wear your strapless panty with” Keep it Classy ladies!
Good Luck and Thanks for Reading!