You may Fear the Beard but for November Savor the ‘stache.
Earlier this month I discussed how October is Breast Cancer Awareness month but did you know that November is the month dedicated to raising awareness and funds for cancer affecting men?
Movember (Mustache + November) begin in 1999 by a small group of Australian men, is now the world’s largest fundraiser of prostate cancer research. Movember encourages men to grow mustaches throughout November while getting friends and families to donate to their “growing” efforts. With campaigns in 6 countries Movember has raised over $100 million to date.(funds raised in US benefit the Prostate Cancer Foundation and LIVESTRONG).
How Does it work?
- Register at Movember.com by Nov. 1st
- Once registered you will have access to your personalized MO Space page on Movember.com
- Using pre-loaded email, Facebook, and twitter messaging from your Mo Space, recruit friends and family to either join your Movember team or donate to your moustache growing efforts.
- On Movember 1st “Mo Bros.” start clean shaven then grow and groom their moustache all month long.
- Throughout the month update your Mo space with pictures, videos and status
- On Shadowe’en (October 31st), the complete moustache region, including the entire upper lip and the handlebar zones, must be completely shaved.
- For the entire duration of Movember (Movember 1st – 30th inclusive), no hair shall be allowed to grow in the goatee zone – being any facial area below the bottom lip.
- There is to be no joining of the moustache to sideburn.
My 6 year old nephew really wanted to get involved with Movember–since he couldn’t yet grow a ‘stache he decided to write a book (I had to include it so cute):
If you’re like my nephew and can’t grow a ‘stache you can support Movember by supporting their partners who create special products with a portion of the proceeds going to the Movember cause:
focuses on health and education of children in need, the role of healthy informed parents is alos paramount to the well being of children. TOMS has created 2 mens and 1 womens limited edition shoes where not only will proceeds benefit Movember but in addition for each pair sold TOMS will donate a pair of shoes to a child in need. The collection will be available at select retailers and TOMS.com
on Oct. 15th.
The Art of Shaving
The Art of Shaving is offering an amazing deal for Movember! At their Fashion Show and The Grand Canal Shoppes at The Venetian locations, The Art of Shaving will be doing a $10 hot shave during November. All proceeds will go towards their Movember efforts. They will also be selling $1 mustache magnets that will benefit Movember. Also, anyone can visit The Art of Shaving website to donate directly to Movember. The Art of Shaving will then match all contributions up to $10,000.00.
Demistasse Jewelry’s Original Demistache collection of moustache inspired jewlery will support Movember for it’s third year in row. “Demistache designs are a way for both men and women to help show their support for this campaign. while some men spend the month of November growing out their awesome 70’s moustaches, the rest of us can wear the Demistache to show our support” says Demistache designer Rachael White. Demitasse donates $8 from the sale of every Demistache necklace purchased at demitassejewelry.com
to Movember through Jan 2012.
Demistasse Jewelry wants you to Savor the ‘stache this Movember. 1 Lucky winner will receive a Urban Demistache Mustache necklace in the color of their choice.
First, if you haven’t already, subscribe to this blog. (you can subscribe VIA EMAIL at the top right of sidebar).
Then, leave a comment on this post between Oct. 30 and Nov. 5 telling me how you will support Movember!
Last weeks winner will be announced next week as well.
Good Luck and Thanks for reading!