The warmer the weather gets the more my mind keeps drifting away to thoughts of sunsets over the water, pina coladas, sandy beaches and all things tropical but an islandy getaway isn’t in the cards for me anytime soon.
I live in the desert. It’s hot, there are catci and not a beach to be found BUT that’s no reason I can’t be in a tropical state of mind, or style right?!
If there is ONE must-try print for summer 2018 it’s got to be tropical.
Super versatile and oh so summery the tropical print trend come in a variety of forms from sunset landscapes to quirky parrots, luxe palm leaves, exotic fruits and tropical flowers. There is a little something for everyone.
Get creative and go head to toe with it channeling the sun-drenched style of a 1960s Palm Springs socialite. Go full on “Magnum P.I.” with a vibrant Hawaiian print shirt or a bit more subtle with a red carpet worthy chic palm leaf print gown. Dress it up or dress it down wear it for day or night but whichever way you choose to rock it set your dial to tropical and then take it up a notch or two or three.
Not sure how to ride the wave? I put together my list of 5 things you need to keep you on-trend and get you in a tropical state of mind this summer no matter where you are.
- A bold tropical print- tropical prints are not only a HUGE trend this season but a necessity to achieve a tropical vibe. Choose bold vibrant flora and fauna prints with a tropical nod and make sure there are pops of color that include at least one of this seasons hot colors: lavender, orange or yellow.
- A bamboo handle bag. Last summer it was all about those Cult Gaia wooden bags– you know them they were EVERYWHERE on INSTAGRAM. This season the trend has evolved into something a little more luxe, the bamboo handle bag. Whether it’s a leather bag, straw, canvas or even acrylic make sure it has a bamboo handle.
- Slides- one of the most controversial yet wearable and comfy trends around these shoes are hotter than hot this season. They are no longer limited to rubbery, sporty soles or Burkenstock-esc orthopedic styles now slides are seriously high-fashion and adorned with everything from feathers to florals and metal details.
- NARS Body Glow- to me it just isn’t summer without slathering myself in this decadent skin transforming body oil from NARS. This is the product that just about EVERY beauty brand has tried (and failed) to copy. It is a lightweight blend of hydrating essences with Tiate flower steeped in native coconut oil which gives skin a bronzed, radiant glow and smells incredible. Apply Body Glow immediately after showering for maximum hydrating benefits. Allow a few minutes for the product to absorb into the skin before getting dressed.
- CREED Virgin Island Water– an instant tropical boost this uplifting scent radiates Jamaican lime and coconut perfect for a dose of tropical paradise.
Tropical Tunes: If reggae music is your summertime jam be sure to check out the new album Punk Rocksteady from the Mad Caddies which drops on June 15th. The album features 12 classic punk songs (standards from the likes of Green Day, Bad Religion, The Misfits, and Descendents), hand-picked by Fat Mike from NOFX, completely reimagined with a reggae strut!
What I’m Wearing: Vintage Tropical Print Dress from StilettosandSinCity | Vintage Gucci Bamboo Handle Bag | Stella McCartney Sunglasses | Donald Pliner Slide Sandals | BCBG Belt |
Click to SHOP some of my TOP picks for getting in the Tropical Mood: