What warrants a “closet staple”? To me it’s a piece of clothing that “does work”.
It’s a heavy hitter that you can wear in multiple ways through multiple seasons. Something that makes day-to-day dressing infinitely easier.
Closet staples serve as basic, fundamental pieces to complement the more trendier, seasonal items you may pick up. They’re classic, transitional, and special enough to hold onto all year long.
This skirt and these booties are two of my “most worn” pieces in my closet. I have done NUMEROUS OOTD posts in them and paired them a gazillion different ways in pretty much every season.
It’s always good to take a little inventory of what pieces have been “doing work” for you and which aren’t and to make sure your go-to pieces are in good shape with no stains or tears.
To help you work on your closet staples for 2020, today I’m sharing my ultimate list of wardrobe essentials. Having these pieces ready-to-go will save you from so many fashion emergencies!
Twelve Closet Staples You Need for 2020.
- A great fitting pair of non-distressed jeans. Straight leg is always timeless.
- Little Black Dress (Your go-to for any impromptu event. It will always come through for you in a pinch)
- Perfectly fitted skirt (it can be a pencil, A-line, swing or whatever suits your body type.)
- An easy daytime maxi dress (brunch, shopping and more. A chic maxi will always have you looking polished).
- A pair of booties (The perfect complement to everything from dresses and oversized knits to jeans and tees. Invest in a quality pair and they’re sure to become one of the most-worn pieces in your closet.
- Perfect fitting tee (for me this is usually a band tee but it could also be a solid with no graphics).
- A printed blouse (because a tee doesn’t always work. When you need to chic things up a go-to blouse is your bougie BFF).
- A white collared shirt (timelessly sophisticated).
- A blazer (always a model-off duty win when paired with denim).
- Minimal streamline sneakers (Office friendly, classic and oh so comfy, you need a pair of these stat. Try pairing with a suit for work)!
- Black Pants (skinny black pants are a girl’s best friend, you know what I;m talking about).
- A Signature Item (This is something that is totally “you” it could be a fragrance, handbag or amazing coat. It’s something you rock with total confidence like a second skin)
What are your Closet Staples? If you don’t know give your closet a little inventory check.
One easy way to check what is working for you and what isn’t is to turn around all the hangers in your closet so the hooks are pointing towards you (wrong way round). When you wear something, put it back with the hook the normal way. In six months, any hanger still facing the wrong way is holding an item you haven’t worn, it may be ready for the donation bag.
What I’m Wearing: Joanie’s “Eat Your Greens” Sweater | MODCLOTH Skirt | Coach Handbag | Nordstrom Belt| Scotch & Soda Scarf|
Click to SHOP some Closet Essentials: