The most unexpected “IT” accessory this season spilled off the runways and onto the heads of some of Hollywood’s hottest starlets.
Spotted on everyone from Ashley Olsen and Beyonce to Selena Gomez, Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus, beanie hats are the must-have way to top off your look this season.
With the weather recently taking a turn from a “need for a light fall jacket” to “where the $#*@ are my gloves, parka and scarf”, now is the perfect time to learn how to wear a beanie with style.
A Beanie is the ideal way to keep your head warm while still adding a little fashion forward on-trend flair, but there is more to looking great wearing a beanie than just throwing it on your head.
With visual assistance from a nifty knitty photoshoot I styled for Desert Companion Magazine, Here are 5 Ways to Wear a Beanie in Style:
1. The Usual Suspects. The easiest and most commonly spotted way to wear a beanie is over your forehead, on a downward angle to the back of your head, covering your ears. Hair usually looks best styled down with this shape either wavy or straight.
2. Add Some Flair. A great way to spice things up with your beanie is to add a flip/fold to one side. You will need a longer slouchier beanie to acheive this. Place the beanie on your head at a downward angle to the back of your head and diagonal on the top so that one side is longer than the other. Fold the longer side up and scrunch the beanie at the top so it isn’t pointy.
3. Be Unique. I love a Good Pom Pom. They are flirty, girly and playful. Pair for contrast with a lightweight dress, heels and a textured jacket. Don’t be afraid to go all out, by paring the beanie with something utterly feminine and refined but always remember the golden rule of beanies: Always cover your ears, either with hair or with the beanie! Ears poking out just isn’t attractive!
4. The Single Fold. The best way to make your beanie’s fit snugly on your head. Place the beanie over your forehead and on a downward angle to the back of your head. Fold the bottom edge of the beanie back over its self until the hat fits snugly at the top of your head. Try this style with braids or some peek-a-boo bangs.
5. Straight Up! Make your beanie stick straight up for an interesting silhouette. Yeah, it can be a little gnomish so be warned this style isn’t for those afraid to make a statement. Its bold and you have to own it. Beanies with some texture work best.
What Beanie Style will you be wearing to keep warm?
Click to Shop a Round Up of Some of My Favorite Beanies this Season: