Happy Thanksgiving Week. Who needs a drink? I know I do.
Thanksgiving is an all-day affair that at least in my family involves drinking, and that should still hold true in the year 2020. Sure, you probably aren’t having a HUGE family/friends gathering, and some of your family members might be a little farther away than they usually are – but no matter how you’re celebrating on November 26th, cocktails will be there for you.
Pumpkin & Spice flavors may have run their course by now so I thought I would share another wonder-FALL pairing.. Cinnamon and Apple. These two fall classics blend together with delicious whiskey to create an Apple Whiskey Smash.
For me Thanksgiving is all about comfort and no spirit provides warm comfort like Whiskey. My whiskey of choice for this cocktail is Weed Oak Cellars Straight Bourbon Whiskey 91 Proof.
It has a smoky and roasted hazelnut aroma with notes of crisp apple, cloves and caramel-honey which makes it the perfect choice for my Apple Whiskey Smash.
This festive cocktail is sure to make your 2020 Thanksgiving feel more like a holiday and less like another Thursday spent at home.
What You Need:
- 4oz Weed Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- 2oz cinnamon simple syrup
- 2oz apple cider
- splash lemon juice
- 6 small slices of apple
- 6 mint leaves
Mix it Up:
- In a shaker, smash together the apple slices and mint with a muddler.
- Add Whiskey, cinnamon simple syrup, cider and lemon to shaker. Fill the shaker ¾ of the way with ice.
- Shake, shake, shake it. Then strain into a high ball glass with crushed ice.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick and mint leaf.
Cinnamon Simple Syrup:
- In a small saucepan, stir together 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, 3-4 cinnamon sticks and 2 tsp ground cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let steep with cinnamon sticks 10 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon sticks pour into a mason jar and let cool. Store in refrigerator (should last about a month).
See my Black Friday Bloody Mary Recipe for a perfect day-after-Thanksgiving Cocktail.