For all the wonders that summer brings into your life, long days, patio happy hours, weekend road trips, there is that one thing that can spoil a fashion girl’s sunny mood faster than you can say “Shadow Ban” and that’s a summer outfit.
Things are about to start heating up and while most of the world worships summer, fashion people love fall/winter. That’s because we love our clothes, our boots, our jackets, leathers, brocades and layers upon layers! I NEED MY LAYERS!
Layers are what give an outfit visual interest and depth. It’s what sets a look apart and makes it special. A dress is just a dress but add a belt, tights, booties, scarf, a crossbody bag and a leather jacket- it becomes a work of carefully curated art worthy of OOTD photos.
When it’s hotter than hell outside any fabric thicker than a tissue can feel like a torture device, which results in “the summer uniform” syndrome. A mold we create that’s hard to break, usually shorts and a t-shirt or for me distressed breathable boyfriend jeans and a tee which is definitely not INSTAGRAM worthy, it’s barely leave-your-house-worthy.
But don’t fret fashion folks there are some creative ways to pull off summer layering without succumbing to heat stroke. It just takes some understanding of sequence, knowing which fabrics work best, and a willingness to switch things up.
Here are five easy ways to do summer layering like a pro:
- I am a firm believer that every gal should own at least one beautiful lace trimmed camisole. They are one of the most functional pieces in your wardrobe and they instantly add a dash of sophistication to any look. In the summer I love to layer them under low cut dresses or tops. It adds texture and depth without being heavy or hot! The fact that they are comprised of TWO textiles- lace and usually silk- even when worn with just jeans they have that layered appeal.
- Mesh and macrame pieces are ideal for summer layering because they won’t weight you down plus they add texture and interest to your look. You can instantly summerize any bag by layering it with a market tote string bag!
- Neck Scarves/Bandannas. If you follow my feed or are a current reader of my blog you know I love me a good neck scarf and they make a perfect summer layering trick. If you are wearing a bandanna it will actually absorb sweat! Yep it will help you! Winner! Because silk scarves can get a little too warm for summer I found a great solution at MADEWELL! They make these cute little “skinny” bandanna scarves that are super thin so you don’t have the bulk of a rolled bandanna or rolled scarf on your neck! They also look really cute tied onto a handbag!
- Belt it. Don’t forget a belt constitutes a layer plus it gives you shape! Toss one on over a maxi-dress to rein it in or with jeans and a 1/2 tucked light cotton blouse layered with a lace trimmed cami!
- Hair accessories count as a layer! This season it’s all about the pearl barrette and flower combs in the hair. This is an easy add on that won’t affect your body temp or your wallet one bit.
See look at all those layers you just created without adding a bit of heat!
What I’m Wearing: Called To Surf Dress | AllSaints Silk Cami | Vintage Belt |Free People Boots | Nasty Gal Market Tote | Marc Jacobs Saddlebag | Chloe Sunglasses | Madewell Skinny Bandanna| Flower Comb I Made at Vintage Market Days |
Click to SHOP some easy ways to add layers to your summer look:
I’m in love with all these layers!!
Thanks so much!
Yes to all of these!! I love adding scarves.
Me too such a fun accessory!
A hair accessory sounds like a fun layering piece no matter how hot it is!
So easy and fun!
I love adding scarves to the outfit and a light jacket is a must here in England. You look lovely!
Awe thank you so much!